Here are a few things you can do to secure your home before leaving for vacation.
- Contact your concierge to have your water supply turned off till you are back. This will prevent any leaks that could damage your property.
- Ask a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your home while you’re away.
- Secure your home effectively; close and lock all windows and doors.
- Discontinue newspaper subscriptions and deliveries to your home.
- Give a key to a trusted friend or neighbour so they can check your apartment periodically.
- Do not leave unsecured items on your balcony/terrace that can be easily removed.
- If you have a burglar or intrusion alarm, activate it.
- Secure all valuables and cash in an approved and securely fastened safe.
- Unplug all unnecessary appliances such as televisions, stereos and personal computers (take care not to turn off the power to any alarm systems).
- Unplug or turn off the ringer on all telephones and answering machines.