The Jointly Owned Property Law regulations and directions dictate that the community manager must maintain a minimum level of insurance including property insurance, public liability and fidelity guarantee.

Most plans cover water damage, fire, natural disasters and theft but not all cover you against damage you may inadvertently cause yourself.
If you’re a homeowner, ensure you choose a plan that also covers against damage caused by tenants

As per Community Rules, owners should carry property insurance for the full replacement cost of all insurable improvements and contents in his lot or unit. Owners agree that in the event of damage to or destruction of structure on or comprising his lot or unit, the owner shall promptly proceed to repair or to reconstruct in a manner consistent with the original construction or such other plans as are approved by the developer or community manager. Owners shall pay all costs which are not covered by insurance proceeds.
It is highly recommended that you take out adequate insurance on the contents of your unit. The insurance maintained by the community manager only covers the common areas of the community. Therefore, contents such as your furniture, electrical appliances, curtains and carpets, would not be covered. Homeowners can suffer significant losses when their personal property is not insured if there is a fire, unexpected events, natural calamities, water damage or even accidental damage.
So please make sure you protect your home and belongings against the unexpected, with a simple, straightforward insurance policy. Insuring household contents can be done easily by opting for a home insurance plan – applying for one is simple. Often all you need to do is complete a proposal form including your name, location of the property and the sum you wish to insure your home for – usually insurance companies offer guidelines for this; and you can add up the value of the contents of your home for a comparison too.
We encourage you to contact any local insurance company, broker or bank that offers home contents insurance. Please refer to the Community Rules.